Tuesday, October 20, 2009

it's a new day!

And it's a beautiful one!

Look at me go! Two blog posts in two days! Oh. Well technically in 3 days. Whatever! Just be grateful :)

Since the run on Sunday I haven't really done much of anything. Except for dodgeball last night! That was super fun. I still throw like a sissy, but I'm getting better at throwing strategically vs. throwing well. So that's something! I'm also still a bit of a sissy when it comes to getting hit. I still close my eyes and yelp. I need to learn to try to catch those ones that hit me in the midsection rather than just getting hit and walking off. It was also a good workout since we only had 7 people and there are 6 people on at any given time. Fun times had by all! And to top it all off, we won! I think the score is wrong and we should have won by more, but what can you do. A win's a win! Although it's our third technical win - it's our first actual win! :)

Tonight is booty camp. I did miss last week's Thursday session so Breanna and I will also be going tomorrow night in addition to Thursday. I also missed one in the first 4-week session so I'm going to try to make that one up on Monday! It'll be a booty camp bonanza!

So I'm actually really looking forward to this boxing gym business! I think there are a couple people who may also be interested. I just wonder how realistic it is for me. This place is at Carlaw/Gerrard and is not terribly close to me. I'd be finished at 8pm on any given weeknight and then wouldn't get home until closer to 9pm. And ideally I'd like to go at least twice a week. Plus I play pool on Wednesdays until late and dodgeball is Monday nights and are typically late games, too. And what about during the winter when it gets cold and snowy and miserable and dark. Will I really still want to go? And what are the chances I will trek all the way out there on a weekend? So maybe I won't sign up for the full year just yet until I get through the winter and see how committed I am to it. But I am still really excited.

By the way, I am fighting the urge in almost every paragraph to write "irregardless" because I've been informed that if I continue to use it, people will think it's a real word and I will perpetuate the misuse of the word. Not that I think you're dumb. Well maybe I do a little ;) <3

It's interesting. Despite doing booty camp twice a week and dodgeball on Mondays I still feel like I am incredibly lazy and inactive. I need to do more on the weekends I think. Suggestions?

So in the previous post, Shyn suggested I look into more individual sports, in particular, racket sports. I am all for taking up badminton! Or maybe even tennis. As I mentioned, squash scares the bejeezus out of me. Remember, I'm the girl who is scared of a soft squishy dodgeball.

I'd like to hear if any of you have played/like squash. If anyone has a guest pass or something to a squash court I might be willing to try it. Despite the fear!

Also, I would like to try indoor rock climbing some weekend in the near future! Maybe November 7?? I'd be willing to take a day off work for it since I'm tired of working and have all sorts of vacation days. I am planning to take a day off just to go shopping!

Hope everyone is having a lovely day and a more productive day at work than I'm currently having. :)

5 comments:

  1. If you really wanna show commitment, go during the winter time as you would in the summer. I'm going to take some advice from our friend, and run to the gym even throughout the winter.

    I've played squash a little. It's definately fun. I learned on my own, so I didn't take any lessons. It's a great cardio workout. I'll play badminton with you. I bought a racket last year that I only used a handful of times. You know, the one in my trunk covered in sand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoga or Tai Chi are great winter activities. You build muscle, improve flexibility and balance, and cardio. Plus you can do them in your apt when it's -20 with the wind and there is a metre of snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've played squash before and it was a lot of fun ... I remember a few places in the Markham area where we can play :) I'll inquire about prices. Since it's far for you, we don't have to make it a weekly routine, but we can try it once and see if we wanna go back every now and then.

    Badminton is a lot of fun too - I'm not good, but I like it.

    The boxing gym sounds awesome ... lemme know how that goes!

    I'm all about shopping these days for some reason ... maybe because I've been off it for so long ... I'll meet you downtown for some shopping after work one day ... or we should go to Vaughan Mills ... it's a big mall so good exercise too (although there are no stairs) :)

    ReplyDelete