Tuesday, May 4, 2010

my pledge to you, my friends!

I seem to experience quite the ebb and flow in my activity levels, as evidenced by my recent and not-so-recent blogging efforts.  I still feel that this is the year that I make a significant difference to myself.

As I mentioned in my last post, ultimate frisbee is starting up again soon, and beach volleyball starts next week!

Also, I just joined Goodlife Fitness and plan to pick up my membership card on Thursday. And will start going to the classes soon!

And to kickstart my new pledge, I am planning to get up early tomorrow (like I used to) and go for a run.

I know, I know, this isn't the first time I've said this, but now that summer is coming, I have no excuses.  Um, unless it rains.  Who runs in the rain?!

So this new surge of wanting to do something may have something to do with the fact that it's Tuesday night and we are flipping between the hockey game and The Biggest Loser.  It's makeover night on TBL and it's very inspiring!  It's amazing to see the transformations and what difference a bit of weight loss can make.

If only Montreal would focus more on scoring a goal than knocking the hell out of Pittsburgh!

In any case, this is a short, but sweet blog just to say that I am giving running another go and am very vaguely contemplating running a 10k at the end of the summer.  Vaguely. 

So!  For the summer, in addition to ultimate and volleyball, I propose to:
  • run at least twice a week
  • take at least one class per week at the gym
  • make better food choices
I mentioned in a previous blog that I want to also try some racket sports this summer and I am going to do it.  Dammit.  Soon.

Also, I'm really curious about Dragon Boating!  I recently met someone who coaches DB teams and has said if I can put together a team of 22ish people who are willing to pay ~$160 each for 2 months of training (once a week) with coaching and a race, we can do it!  Who's in?!

Alternatively, Mount Sinai has a DB team, although they seem really hardcore.  They practice twice a week and started in January!  I may consider trying it out, but I'm scared.  But!  As Chow so kindly (read: rudely **UPDATE** read: rudely, but supportively) pointed out - it's time for me to break out of my comfort zone!   So maybe I'll suck it up and go to one of their practices.

Life is good, people.  And I want to enjoy it!  :)

5 comments:

  1. Who runs in the rain? You do! I wouldn't though, depending on how muddy. I like how you always make me sound like a jerk when you mention me in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol there, i updated it :)

    it wouldn't even be muddy since i run on the sidewalk :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. just run on the treadmill.
    the rain cant get you, and you can place it strategically in front of a tv, so as to distract yourself and make the time go by faster :)

    ok i wanna do a 10K toooooo... i am tentatively going to do it with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol I don't run in the rain either. Or in the cold. I'm just not that hardcore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo Dragon Boat racing! I've been intrigued by this sport since I worked on a book about the history of Dragon Boat racing. If you end up going let me know, I might want to join you. Figure if there's two of us less likely for one of us to chicken out :D

    ReplyDelete