Friday, August 14, 2009

new pain, new gain..

When I was running this morning I developed a new pain. It didn't last the whole time, but it felt weird. I guess it was my Achilles' heel on my left leg. Like I said, it went away, but it was new so I thought I would mention it.

So let me first talk about last night. We had an ultimate frisbee practice at Trinity-Bellwoods Park. It is actually quite a nice park! And pretty big! Lots of trees, too. So we found a nice shaded patch of field to run around in. I practiced a few different throws and have decided that the hammer throw is where it's at. I'm getting pretty good at it! Also, I'm getting pretty good at throwing curving frisbees. I'm less good at throwing them backhanded or other variations, but I'm getting better. It's fun to do the hammer!! Also I need to work on catching the frisbee and being able to tell where the frisbee is going to end up. I am usually running all over chasing a curving frisbee and I have to stop that :P

We played a bit of 4v4 and it was fun. The more I play the more I get a sense of what to expect and what I am supposed to do (weird how that works out, eh?). Although during a real game I am still a bit like a chicken with its head cut off :( But I can only get better, right?

Also! Tammy said my calves looked more muscle-y. /beam

Therefore, even though I did not run yesterday morning, at least I ran around for a couple hours last night!

This morning I was determined to make it out for my run because I knew the longer I kept putting it off, the harder it would be to start again. So I did it. I am a little messed up on my Couch to 5k training sessions because of the various missed days. I should be on Day 3, Week 5, so I skipped a couple sessions over the past 2 weeks and today I did Day 2, Week 5. That's not too shabby, eh?

This morning's plan:

5 min warmup
8 min jog
5 min walk
8 min jog

Easy peasy! I did it with barely a hitch (except for the aforementioned new pain). I think I probably could have run a bit longer than 8 minutes, but it was getting rather hot outside!

I plan to run this weekend and finish off Week 5 so I can transition into Week 6 without being behind. However, day 5's plan is: 5 minute warmup followed by 20 minute run.

What the hell?

What kind of transition is that?? So I'm not going to lie, my friends. I am a little nervous. But the only thing I can do is try, right? :D I'm such an after-school special. You can do it, Duffy Moon! (That was for you, Denise).


Lessons Learned:
  1. I think my cardio has improved slightly. The reason I want to stop running is not usually because I can't breathe, but because my legs are tired. Although when I do stop I am breathing pretty hard.
  2. I need to strengthen my legs. Are there home exercises for that? Other than the lunges and squats for my upper legs. Any actual exercises to strengthen my lower legs or do I just have to keep running?
  3. I need to stop buying cheap flip flops. Another pair just bit the dust. Sigh. Luckily it happened while I was already in the hospital and luckily I have a pair of shoes here. But I really didn't feel like wearing heels today :( And! I have to go to the beach after work and can't wear heels! Brutal. You know what this means, right? Yup, I will have to go find another cheap pair of flip flops before the beach!
  4. Lunges and squats seriously work. Or at least they seem to since I'm still feeling it a million days later.

In addition to the boot camp and the rock climbing, I am also going to try spinning! I am going with a co-worker to a Wednesday morning spin class at 7am (eep) . I'm a little scared, but looking forward to it, too!

I just want to say that having started running has really expanded my life in a lot of unexpected ways. I am trying things that even a year ago I would have seriously scoffed at or been horrified by. Taking this spin class is just a further progression of that. I know this sounds smarmy, but I am really looking forward to the new direction my life is taking :)

Life's good! And my future looks even better. /dimple

7 comments:

  1. Spin class? Like on your toes? How will you keep from getting dizzy and getting sick??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya happy? I'm commenting!

    If you are doing them right, lunges and squats really work your entire leg. Probably not as much as your thighs, but it does do something. You're most likely just feeling it in your thighs because you're just not used to doing such exercises, and/or... you might not like this, you're not going down deep enough.

    But, if you're just simply bored with doing squats you can try variations, like walking lunges, mary katherine lunges, reverse lunges, jump squats, sumo squat, chair pose, wall squats, single-leg wall squats (I got Charles to try those last two).

    If you want a couple new exercises altogether, some of these will incorporate cardio as well. I'll only mention 2 for now. 1) Step ups: You can do them forwards or side-ways and also with or without weights. It's exactly as the name is, step up, then bring the other leg up, then step down, bring the other leg down. The high you want is something probably just below the knee. Try this 15-20 times. 2) Running-on-the-spot: This incorporates cardio as well. This will feel different from normal running because instead of your body's inertia going forward, it's going up. Not only that, you'll be going as fast as you can with your knees up as high as you can. Might help to keep your hands out so you can hit your knees. Do this for 1 minute. A tip: stay on your toes, please don't smash your heel on the ground.

    That's it, hope this helps a little. We can talk more after or before v-ball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie! I'm tres jealous to hear you're throwing the frisbee around like crazy! Do you own your own ultimate frisbee?? If so, let's get together and toss that thing around!

    Not to scare you, but I hear spin classes are amazing. I'm sure you'll love them... once you get over the pain ;D It's low impact and thats why I love it... plus the screaming motivation from the instructor is always helpful.

    PS, Settings>Comments>ummm... show URL/name??
    I changed it so anyone can comment now... even anonymously... did that help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha thanks charles!! :) that makes it much easier :P

    and ya i haev a frisbee! we will totally throw it around.. and we're goign to go rock climbing when you get back! :)

    haha ya i'm a little scared re: the spin class.. but.. well.. we'll see :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're scared of peddling a stationary bike in an air conditioned room... but yet you're not afraid to go over the side of a 120 foot sheer face cliff using nothing but a 5 foot rope tethered around your waist with granny knots tied around small trees? Plus we never use helmets and we always drink shots of CC and rum before rapelling to "encourage the courage" :D

    It'll be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol i'm not rapelling!! i will be rock climbing.. there's a difference :P

    and i'm not scared of the bike because of danger! but because it'll be hard.. right now i have no concept of how hard rock climbing is :P but it still seems infinitely more fun and interesting :)

    and chow! welcome back! ok.. i will try the stupid stepups.. maybe i will do those on my off-running days..

    and you're right.. i'm not going down as far as i should esp for my lunges.. but i'm working on it! i'm just so tired after my run! i will do better! be better! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connie! Sorry I have been mia for a while. I just caught up on your blog and I am very proud of you :) You seem to be really getting into exercising (in every variation) and that's a good thing. Keep up the good work and maybe we can run a 10k together some day!!

    ReplyDelete