Thursday, August 6, 2009

go big or go home!

Welcome back!

So instead of making one incredibly long blog, I think I will probably split up the news about my weekend into a couple of blogs so stay tuned!

Friday we got up at the crack of dawn to drive to Ottawa/Quebec so there was no running. In fact, it might have even been before the crack of dawn! It was damn early.

However, there was much swimming to be had!! I have discovered that I love love love the water. I think I was a fish in another life. Or maybe a mermaid. Yes, a mermaid.

The cottage is on a secluded bay with clear water. A wee bit cold, though!

So let me tell you what else I learned about myself. I'm kind of a sissy. My whole childhood was spent watching horror movies and I was very rarely affected (unlike Charles who got nightmares - haha). But this is how it chooses to manifest itself! I'm kind of afraid of bodies of water. Every time I think about going in I picture creepy zombie hands reaching up from the depths trying to grab my feet and pull me down. Or I picture happily swimming along and discovering a dead body. Or killer monster fish trying to eat me. Or random body parts floating up from the bottom. Really, I could go on. Needless to say, at first, it took me a little while to actually go in. And the first time I went swimming in the lake on my own was an ordeal. And no matter how often I went into that lake I would still get twinges of panic that I would have to quell so as not to flail about and drown myself. :P

Otherwise though - it was great! So for exercise I would swim across and tread water. Really felt it in my arms! Did I mention I love swimming?

Speaking of things I love - remember how I love boats? Well, there was a motor boat and I love just zipping around in it! I'm constantly marveling at my newfound love of boats, the beach, water, etc.

I think I need to move closer to an ocean or something. Or at least a swimmable lake (Lake Ontario is the ew).

There was also some kind of party on the Saturday going on and they lit fireworks that night, which we saw from a boat. Olessia - I now fully appreciate your love for fireworks and boats. Love it.

It makes me want to live on a boat. A big luxurious boat.

Ah, screw it. I will just write about all my adventures in this one big long post.

On Saturday we decided to go climb a mountain. I should attach pictures but they are at home. :(

We took the boat across the lake to the start of the "trail".

There was no trail.

We hiked and pushed our way through this muddy, steep, bug-infested wilderness until we finally reached the top. It was not easy, my friends!! Although I had a walking stick - that helped :)

It was worth it, though. Absolutely beautiful view from the top. The pictures will eventually be posted on Facebook when I get my computer back (in 3-4 weeks!!!!!). We rested a bit, took some pictures. It was no boat, but it was lovely. Then the hike back down. Just as bad - maybe slightly easier. But there was definitely more falling! Did I mention the mud? It was hot and I was sweaty and gross, but then when we got back - more swimming! It was glorious.

I think I could have spent the entire weekend in the water.

So Sunday evening we headed back to Ottawa. We went to a swimming pool on Monday and I got to swim some more! Pools are nice, too! That was, admittedly, the last of my exercise until I got back.

I was supposed to go to ultimate frisbee Tuesday evening, but after the ordeal with the car breaking down on the highway (!) and trying to get home, it just didn't happen. Then I realized the warranty on my laptop was up that night (not Wednesday night as I had thought) and I had to back everything up so I could get it to the Future Shop before it closed because my DVD-ROM has been broken for 2 years! So I finally get there at like 8:10pm and drop it off. Now I'm *twitch* without my laptop *twitch* for 3-4 weeks *twitch*. But at least I have my Blackberry!

So, back to the topic at hand.

First, I apologize for the lack of blog yesterday! It was my first day back after a 5 day weekend and I just didn't have a chance.

But I did go running! I entered week 4 of the training session. I had briefly debated doing week 3 again since I only did it twice at the beginning of last week, but I decided screw it! I will just keep moving forward. Go big or go home!

This set consisted of:

5-minute warmup
3-minute jog
90-second walk
5-minute jog
2.5-minute walk
3-minute jog
90-second walk
5-minute jog

and scene.

So I jogged for a total of 16 minutes. That's pretty good, eh? I seem to be progressing along quite nicely! This is a 9-week program so I will be done with 2 weeks left to practice and improve my speed. I'm very excited! I think this may actually be possible after all!

After the run I did some pushups. I was way too tired to do anything more than that, though. I actually thought I was going to throw up :P But I didn't :D

So ok - that is the long and short of the past week or so. Not terribly exciting, but there you have it.

Oh, I didn't do anything this morning :( But I think I'll go for a bike ride this evening into High Park! I'll keep you posted :D

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good time up at the cottage! I think you are just at the point where things will start to get a little easier. When you make it to week 6 I think you'll be well on your way for September! Keep up the good spirits you'll be there before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah yes connie! If i had to choose an appropriate water-based representation of myself, it would be the ever graceful, completely innocent, yet often trampled upon manitee. You... you can be a mermaid.

    And yes, half the battle of swimming out in open waters is always the fun and challenge of fighting the fears of random body parts floating up from the bottom!!! lol. Trust me, there's pretty much nothing in north american lakes that are of any much concern... as opposed to the craziness of the ocean here...

    anyway, epic adventure! I look forward to the next time we're at iain's cottage... I think FINALLY you're ready to appreciate it to its fullest... that is 1/2 the time spent in a happy drunkery on the couches... and the other 1/2 spent in the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you don't know! there could be a deep lake monster borne of the toxic chemicals and prescription drugs being pumped into the water at an alarming rate!! though i do want to go to the oceaaaaan.. i'm really raring for a cruise :)

    haha i think i am finally ready!! altho his lake is very seaweedy isn't it? i freak when it touches me :P

    lol @ innocent manatee .. lol..

    ReplyDelete
  4. also! thank you for signing your name! and if you have a problem posting.. bc i realized the same thing happens to me.. it says something like your comment couldn't be published.. just hit post comment again and it works :) fyi!

    ReplyDelete