Monday, July 6, 2009

Excuses, excuses.. or just appropriate rationale?

I have been accused by some unsavoury characters of having a lot of excuses in my pursuit to become a better runner. However (!) my dear friends - I have decided they are not excuses, but good rationale :) Take today for instance..

#1: My run was not as long as my previous jaunts have been.

Rationale: I was tired :P Ok, maybe this is more an excuse, I'll give you that! But I am completely sunburnt and I did not want to drag my ass out of bed this morning!

However: At least I went for a run, right? :) I was *this* close to snuggling up into my blankets and staying in bed for another hour. TROOPER. (I don't care if it's supposed to be trouper :)

#2: I wasn't even supposed to go running since I was told by Jinny that I should not run until I get new shoes! Oops.

Rationale: Well, I figured I already ran for a week with them and that one more day wouldn't make much of a difference, right? I already abused my body at the beach this weekend (more later).

However: I plan to hit up Eaton Centre after work today to pick up a pair of new runners. Then I will be all set!

#3: I am going to be late for work again today.

Rationale: This blog clearly takes precedence over everything else in my life :) Also, I'm watching So You Think You Can Dance in the background :D

However: No, I got nothing. There is no however for this one :)

#4: Wall pushups. They're back - sort of. And dips didn't happen!

Rationale: I couldn't find a bench/chair to do the dips in (Ok, I didn't look very hard :P).

However: So I didn't do wall pushups, but I did them against the kitchen counter. It was much harder than the wall pushups!


So now let me tell you the next chapter of my sunburn saga. I woke up this morning to discover that I also burned the back of my legs. The worst part is that I argued with Chow yesterday telling him that I never burn my legs and that I *won't* put sunblock on them (I was only mildly petulant). See Lesson Learned #4 from yesterday's post.

The crease behind my knees got burnt so that makes walking, sitting - everything, really - slightly painful. /sigh. Why do I do this to myself?!

Back to running. It was a gorgeous morning for running. It was nice and cool, the sun was kind of peeking out, but also stayed hidden a lot. It was lovely. Lots of people were out and about going for walks with their dogs. It is such a different environment and lifestyle than I'm used to. I think I'm enjoying it!

Who would have thought I would ever consider myself to be active? I certainly never did!


Lessons learned:
  1. More sunblock. Always more sunblock.
  2. People never stop growing and changing. It's great, isn't it?
  3. I apparently start work at 930 since that's what time I get in every day these days!
  4. More sunblock!!

2 comments:

  1. I recall the "I never tan let alone burn my legs" speech early Sunday morning.

    FYI: Using the same person who so haphazardly applied the sunblock to your back the first time around wasn't such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete