Wednesday, July 22, 2009

praise be! miracles do happen!

Good morning, friends!

Thus far, it has been quite a good morning. Even though the sun was not shining and I don't recall the birds singing (though I did see a dead robin on the sidewalk this morning!! :( )

Ok, now that I recall that sad detail, my day got a little less good :(

FOCUS.

I laced up my runners, reviewed my workout plan, and set out on my morning run! No, wait. I did a plank first. I think I'm actually getting worse at them! I wobbled my way to 15 seconds. I did do a half-plank for 30 seconds, though, but I felt like a sissy :(

So I get out the door. Let's review:

5 minute brisk walk warm-up

90 seconds run
2 minute walk
lather. rinse. repeat for a total of 20 minutes.

Yesterday I think I said that meant I needed to do 6 repeats, but I clearly can't do math on Tuesdays. I redid the math and discovered I actually need to do it 4 times. That's right, right? I think it only ends up being 14 minutes + 5 minute workout. Oh, wait. Maybe it meant repeat the workout sans warm-up for 20 minutes. Oh. Now I'm all confused :( I was so proud of myself up until this moment. As I write this blog, my day is getting a little less sunny with every paragraph!

Ah well. I did it 4 times. I tried running on the street to see if it made any difference. It made some, I think. I know, I know - safety first! But, I was careful. I swurrz.

But it feels good to have a plan! I like plans. It is, however, remarkably hard to remember how many times one has run/walk. So, I'm 90% certain I did it 4 times. It might have been 5. My brain was addled with sweat at this point.

I come home (avoiding the dead bird - do I need to call anyone??).

Today is a bottom-half day. I did lunges. I did 2 sets of 10 reps (Did I say that right?). Lunges are hard. It makes my thighs burn, which I suppose is the point!

Then I did some squats. Another 2 sets of 10 reps. I better feel the burn tomorrow!

Food. I open the fridge and I have cheese and meat and milk and eggs and nectarines. I make an egg and have a nectarine and a piece of toast with a glass of milk! This may seem like too much information, but it becomes relevant very soon, I promise!

Can you spot the miracles in the post above? There are 3!
.
.
.
.

My miracles:
  1. I finally wrote a post in the morning before work! Lucky you! :)
  2. I finally did lunges, which I previously balked at because they were too hard.
  3. I ignored the cheese and meat in the fridge! I actually thought: maybe I shouldn't have cheese since I just ran and it's probably not necessary. Oh, yes, my friends, I decided against making myself a grilled cheese with egg and meat sandwich! I am now going to seriously reconsider cutting cheese out of my diet again. I did it once before and that was a good year! I am not so good with moderation - all or nothing, baby! :)
I was hoping a 4th miracle would be that I got to work on time, but I had to make a choice between finishing this post or going to work. I choo-choo choosed you! <3

That is the end of my lovely morning. Now I have to go to work and have my day ruined :P

9 comments:

  1. Warm up doesn't count in the total 20 minutes Connie. And you can stop doing plank before hand now. I told you to do it just once in a while to see where you're at. Yes, Connie, SETS of REPITITIONS. And no, you don't call anybody, you just set the bird rot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. let... not set...

    Oh, and here's another General Patton quote because I know you, oh so, love them.

    “I would rather have a good plan today than a perfect plan two weeks from now.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, really, do you have a book of them?? :)

    and oh, i'm not supposed to do planks every day? :P

    and oh again.. fine. i will recalculate without the warmup included :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chow you fitness guru! Join the team for the 5k run in september!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh and nice work Connie!! I was just reading an article on swimmers, and Michael Phelps would eat a 10,000+ diet everyday just to sustain his workout regimen. There's a 15 y.o. girl from toronto that wants to swim across lake ontario and she eats 3500+ calories per meal (3500cal = 1 lb of body mass). Moral of the story, if you don't want to diet too much, become an Olympic swimmer :)

    Two options, diet and watch what you eat with normal exercise or keep ramping up intensity on workouts to try to burn more calories.

    Here's another George S. Patton quote:
    "Do. Or do not...there is no try."

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just learned that i probably burn around 100 calories per mile.. that is a piddly amount! I think you're right.. i need to be an olympic swimmer. clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. dont do it!
    swimmers have awful bodies! their shoulders get all big and stuff... :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Chow, I'm shocked you're not all over the 5k run! Join up! :D
    2. Connie, well done. I read that "from the couch to 5k" site.. entertaining... especially some of the etiquette to running stories there.
    3. Shyn, 10 000 calories a day?!? That's amazing!... That's inspirational... that's about my queue to go fill up on some calories for my extra tanks!... It's hurricane season.. they told us to be prepared for 3 days worth of lost service (thus if my math is correct 3 days x 2500 = 7500 excess calories I should eat... if i want to be responsible).
    4. When I get back, let's do a practice 5k run! :D Connie, get ready!
    5. Let's go out and buy those fancy little fanny packs and little drink bottles to look badass... I'll buy an extra one and fill it with vaseline, which I will rub onto my inner thighs so as to decrease friction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. seriously.. why hasn't chow said he'd do it yet!

    lol @ your math .. that's clearly what you need to do! :)

    haha i dunno if i'll be ready by then! maybe a 3k run :)

    lol .. i could use a cool fanny pack!

    ReplyDelete