Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day three: Canada Day Runz0rs

Happy Canada Day!

One might think that it being a holiday, I might be slacking in the running. FEAR NOT. The plan all along was to run in the evening. So I got to sleep in a little (it was glorious). I also got to nap in the afternoon (also glorious - possibly even more so). But I digress.

I finally get my shiz together and put a little running mix onto my BB.

Some highlights:
  • Dirrty & Fighter (Christina Aguilera) a la Denise
  • Bombs over Baghdad (Outkast) also a la Denise
  • Liberate (Disturbed) a la Chow
  • Church (T Pain)
  • Oh Timbaland (Timbaland)
  • Time and Time Again (Papa Roach)
Good times! Still looking for more to add to it. Suggestions are welcome. Actual mp3s emailed to me would be even better! :D So anyways.

Evening comes. I figure it'll be better to run after the sun has gone down vs in the morning. This is debatable. At least in the morning I can blame the sun for making me look extra sweaty. I have no such excuse in the evening! Gross.

We have a guest over and despite the heckling I receive from both he and Mike ( >.< ) I persevere. Because as you know from the last post, I am a troUper! (I still prefer troOper and the image of a soldier vs a lame actor - FYI).

Tonight's run keeps me out for ~25-30 minutes (possibly I pushed it because of the aforementioned heckling). It is actually a lovely night! Fireworks abound - well, the noise anyway - though I did get to see a couple of them over the houses.

I am actually enjoying running way more than I thought I would. I feel a sense of accomplishment and a sense that I am doing something to change my life - even if it is just a few minutes a day. I just have to believe that it'll get easier, I'll be able to do more, and it will make a difference to my cardiovascular function as well as physically. Hopefully this happens sooner rather than later!

Lessons learned:
  1. Firework noises can be kind of.. startling.. when you don't actually see the display itself!
  2. Running with good music helps immeasurably!
  3. Running at night makes it less likely I will run the following morning.
  4. I need new running shoes.
  5. When eating a really cold popsicle, do not hold it in your mouth while trying to type out this (or any) blog because it will stick to your lips and when you rip the popsicle out unsuspectingly it hurts like a bitch. And bleeds a little!! Gross!
Ah, the life lessons I'm learning..

4 comments:

  1. "Trooper" is definately much better. As per your last post, push-ups against a wall do next to nothing. If you're having trouble doing an actual push-up, try on your knees, but keep a straight body. Failing that, you can get a bench, but on your toes, and do push-ups on that.

    Don't be discouraged if you're running/walking/running. If you're doing that at equal intervals, you're doing something better called, that's right, INTERVAL TRAINING! It helps increase your performance. Here's a program I used (and am currently doing again) called "Couch to 5K." It'll take some time, but it'll get you to that wanted 30 minute mark non-stop running.

    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, if your shoes are busted up and old, get new shoes. Don't fuck with your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making me want to start running again! Last fall I went for a little jog, thinking I was taking it easy, but then my knees swelled up and hurt me. :( I'm thinking I need to get more serious about biking, since it's a bit easier on my knees. Maybe my first "back at home with my parents" purchase will be a road bike. :)

    At the very least, I should start going to the gym again, though.

    Such an inspiration. :)

    Oh, and you should DEFINITELY get new running shoes if you need 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Connie! However, you should NOT be running every day... you need rest in between like any workout. Maybe in between runs you can do something else... like lifting weights or another form of cardio. Also, you need to get good running shoes as most runners get some kind of running injury (due to bad shoes). I recommend going to a place that will assess your feet and then go from there. Also, remember to stretch before and after!

    Ok, that is all my comments for now :) I'm sure I'll have more for you later. I think you're doing wonderful. I'm going for a run tonight with Susie:) We should run together some day!

    Jinny

    ReplyDelete