Wednesday, July 29, 2009

let's get some perspective here, shall we?

Now. About this morning. Again, I didn't run. BUT, as the title says, let's get some perspective!

I will run tomorrow and Friday to make up for the lack of running today and Monday. Also, I will be going to Ottawa where there will be lots of hiking done!

Most importantly, last night we had fajitas for dinner. Though I bought cheese and grated it for Mike, I did not partake! That's right. I sat there and saw it looking all delicious, but did not have any! If that's not willpower, I don't know what is. I have to tell you - fajitas without cheese are just not as good! Though it was still pretty good.

I'm trying to get to the stage where I don't need it. There was a time I didn't eat cheese, whipped cream, sour cream or mayo. But then I had some and it snowballed! However, at the time, I didn't feel like my food was lacking in any way. I just have to get back to that point!

In addition to the cheese, I am trying to eliminate or limit ketchup, too. So, you will be happy to know, I did not have any ketchup with my egg this morning! Nor did I have any when I went out for breakfast with Denise last Sunday! When I had eggs florentine with only a wee bit of hollandaise sauce. I am trying to rediscover foods and flavour sans ketchup.

Furthermore, I brought snacks for the day! I have cottage cheese, blueberries, an apple, an orange, and an orange pepper! Admittedly, I don't have a lunch, but I can't do everything, people!

And now I have to go up the 18th floor (I'm on the 9th) and will take the stairs.

I don't know if you all know the story about me and the stairs here, but since this post is so short, I will tell you!

Back in March/April-ish, Mount Sinai put on a Stairs Challenge. This was to promote healthy lifestyles as well as decrease congestion in our elevators since half of them are always down for construction. This was a competition whereby you formed a team of 4 and counted the flights you took on a daily basis - at home and at work.

Apparently, our team was quite competitive - at the start, anyways. It lasted for 6 weeks and the first week we really went nuts. We were taking the stairs all the time. We even did extra team walks! We would start on the 9th, go up to the 18th, go down to the 1st floor, then back up to 9. We started doing these almost every day.

We did not win.

We did come in 4th or 5th though out of ~18-20 teams?

After suffering a bitter defeat (which raised a few questions such as - when did these other employees get any work done if they were always in the stairwell?!) and after having spent so much time in the dreary stairwell, I began to harbor an extreme dislike for them. Therefore, since then, I have pretty much avoided the stairs. I mean, if I am going up or down a couple flights I will take them, but since the end of the Challenge, I have not once taken the stairs up from the main floor.

One of our team members, recently came by suggesting we re-commence our team walks again. Not to quite the same extreme, but just up to the top and back down to the 9th.

He made me realize - I think I'm ready to get back in the water again. I mean, into the stairwell.

So, in addition to the running and other things I'm doing, I am going to try re-incorporating the stairs back into my life. Starting right now since I have to go up to 18 for a legitimate work reason. Though, I am stalling a bit by stopping to write this blog first :D

Okok, enough lollygagging!

That's kind of a gross word. Am I choking on a lollipop?

Anyways. I'm off to the stairwell. :)

1 comment:

  1. have fun in Ottawa Con! The several days that you got outta bed while everyone was still sound asleep FAR outweigh the one or two days you missed, keeping the attitude positive is the key and I think youre doin great!

    Using the stairwell is awesome just remember to keep a good relationship with it, you go crazy for two weeks and you'll hate it for 3 months! Perhaps try incrementally increasing and decreasing your stairwell usage, maybe set a weekly goal i.e. this week I want to ascend 30 flights and spread it out during the week and reward yourself with an elevator flight every now and then. Since it is at work, you want to try to stay relatively comfortable. Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete