Tuesday, July 28, 2009

that slippery, slippery slope..

Yesterday morning was a tad rough for me - for no good reason, though. Perhaps simply that it was Monday. For some reason, I just could not get out of bed in the morning and could only come up with rationalization after rationalization as to why I shouldn't go running.

My laziness won out, I'm sorry to admit. I think I was too ashamed to write about that yesterday so I also didn't post! Monday was dismal, indeed!

I finally dragged myself out of bed and told myself that I would run in the evening instead. I did not do that either. However, my one good excuse is that I had to study for my final that is this evening.

Soooo, this morning rolls around. I was this close to not getting out of bed again. I told myself that I stayed up late studying (11:30pm :P) and that I needed to get to work early so I could leave early and study more before the exam. I told myself that I already missed one day so it was ok and that for sure I would run tonight after the exam and that everything would be fine. Then I told myself it was already 7:30am so by the time I got out and running and back and showered I would be super late getting to work (knowing full well that I am late every other day for work).

Then I remembered the 5k. And thought about how embarrassed I would be if the day came and I couldn't do it. I thought about how I would be letting myself down and that I always give up on things and that for this I should finally stick to something. It's good for my heart, my health, etc.

So that finally got me out of bed. Phew. I have to tell you - convincing myself to get out of bed was a milestone at this stage was quite the feat. Usually when I want to quit something, I check out mentally right away, and then it's over. But not this time!

I started the third week of the Couch to 5K training session.

5-minute warmup walk
*90-second run
90-second walk
3-minute run
3-minute walk

repeat from *

I started the run thinking I wouldn't be able to do it (I was still sort of trying to give up, I think). But I persevered and I know it doesn't seem like much work, but I'm still proud of myself!

I take pleasure in the little things :)

I am trying to focus on the sense of pride and accomplishment I will feel once I am able to run 5k successfully. Again, I know this may seem like a piddly run for some people, but I don't care! I had to start somewhere.

Maybe next year I'll try a half-marathon. O.o Ok, ok, let's not get ahead of myself! I'll do this 5k and then see what's what.

Although, I think I mentioned in a previous comment that I want to try mountain climbing! Once I start something, I get really ambitious and want to try it all.

I think in the fall (after the 5k) someone (*cough* Shyn?) should take me rock climbing :)

Questions:
  1. What will I do in the winter if I can't run in the morning outside? What are some other (cheap/free) options?
  2. How hard is rock climbing exactly? How expensive?
  3. What else can I try? There are so many things I haven't done! :)

Lessons Learned:

  1. The later I go running in the morning, the hotter it gets! It is kind of ridiculous. Around 7am it is still cool-ish. By 7:45am it is starting to get really toasty! When I actually leave for work at *cough* 8:45am, it is positively roasting. It's weird how as the sun rises, it gets hotter, eh?
  2. I like to dream big and revel in all tiny accomplishments.
  3. I have more willpower than I previously thought I did.

Oh! I forgot to tell you all about my weekend! On Saturday, Mike and I biked into High Park (to the restaurant :D) and biked around a wee bit. This included a monstrously big hill (maybe just to mine own eyes) that almost killed me. Brutal. Then went home. It wasn't very long, but it was something!

On Sunday, I met up with Denise and we walked from Coxwell/Danforth to Queen and somewhere west of Leslie. We got rained on :( But luckily it stopped when we were done breakfast so we could walk back. That was nice! Ok, that is all. I just wanted to share that despite not going to the beach and playing volleyball, I still did something active this weekend. :)

5 comments:

  1. going (albeit walking) to a bunch of restaurants is not ACTIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is when you usually DRIVE to these restos!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie! your will power rating is INCREASING, like +4 or something! that's good to hear, keep it going and that half-marathon for next year isn't as impossible as you think it is, i'm sure once you do this 5k, you'll want that half-marathon! And YES, if we have enough people or even if we don't, and perhaps we can do it when Charles comes back, we'll go rock climbing! it's not expensive at all, all you need is a harness (www.mec.ca).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock climbing is really fun. It can get hard, but it's still fun. This winter in Winnipeg I got to try out ice climbing. Very different experience.

    Who says you can't run outside in the winter? As long as the snow isn't knee high, all you need is a warm, light jacket, and MEC as these things for your shoes called YakTrax. They go over your shoe so they don't slip on ice. I'm thinking of getting a pair for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. clearly we'll have to make a trip to MEC soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete