Tuesday, July 14, 2009

why, yes, i *would* like some cheese with that whine..

A Treatise* on Why I Don't Ride Bikes More Often
  1. Helmets. Who looks good in a helmet? Now, I'm not so vain that I would go without, but I sure don't like it!

  2. Flat tires. Honestly. Having to check your tires every time before you go out is a pain. Maybe my tires are crappy, but I feel they always go flat! And I just replaced the inner tube things!

  3. Lugging the damn thing around. I have a mountain bike or hybrid? (I stole the bike from my brother so I'm not sure). Either way, it's not light. I don't even carry it that far yet somehow those damn pedals manage to get in the way and scratch up my legs and trip me! Perhaps it's my lack of grace that's the problem moreso than the bike itself :)

  4. Having to wear appropriate clothes. Ok, this is a problem for me in life, as I am constantly wearing inappropriate clothing (apparently) to certain events. I'm not saying I dress like a hooker, but sometimes you just shouldn't wear a skirt. Though I do know many people who ride in a skirt and have seen many people who do so as well. Again, perhaps it's a lack of grace. [Aside: I'm glad my parents didn't name me Grace, which being Asian was a high possibility, because I would have proved to be quite the oxymoron - or perhaps I would have lived up to my name - do you think people grow into their names?]

  5. I am slower than the average bear. Just when I think I've picked up some speed, an 80-year-old grandma whizzes by me! What is that! Ok, maybe she wasn't 80, but still!

  6. The gears. Oh, my god - the gears. I think I'm stupid. I just don't get it. I mean I understand it in a vague sort of way, but not in a useful way. I have 7 big gear things on the right side and a bunch of little gear things on the left. When I just start randomly turning things my bike goes crazy and makes all these clicky noises and the pedals jerk. Especially gear #4. Sometimes the clicky noises continues, sometimes they calm down. It worries me a little.

  7. Lack of storage. I don't have a pack or anything small to wear while I bike so I had nowhere to put my BB. Therefore, I had to bike without music or my safety blanket. It was hard to let go.

  8. It makes my knees hurt :( They don't hurt when I run, but they don't like cycling :/

Pros About Riding a Bike


  1. You get to ding a bell! Although I didn't get a chance to use it today because, really, who do I pass?

  2. I get to go fast! (When I'm going downhill)

  3. Um. I think that's it.

So I tried to get up early this morning so I could go on a longer bike ride. I tried to get out the door before 7am. I managed to get out by 715am then realized I had to pump the tires. Then I went looking for my watch because I wanted to know how long I'd be out there - no dice.

I finally left the house and zipped down to High Park. Lovely!! I did one little loop through the park and came back. It was beautiful. I need to go biking through there more often.


I think I was gone for less than 20 minutes though. Because of the knees :(


I came home and did a few squats. I think I still need to build up more muscle in my legs.


Then planks in the bedroom with the kitties shoo'd out. 15 seconds for a full plank! The second time was less than 10 seconds. There was no third time :P


I feel like my arms are getting more muscle. Ok, that is all!


*I am not actually certain that I used "treatise" right and I refuse to look it up. I have seen it written in such a manner so I feel fairly confident in my usage of the word :D

12 comments:

  1. How uneventful... hahaha! Lose that Blackberry "security blanket," you don't need it. It's actually something more to worry about rather than being useful. I've never known anyone, big or small, needing to carry a phone with them "just in case." You, Connie, are the first.. FIRST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo I just wrote a completely witty and funny retort to your blog entry and then it didn't post properly and then I got angry and now I'm not gonna try to rewrite it!!! GRRRRRR!

    Anyway, thank you for finally posting your tuesday episode!! geez, now I can finally start my day! Sometimes I swear connie, waiting for your new entries is like waiting a whole week for new anime episodes to come out!.. and you know how much that kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you sign anonymous i don't know who you are!! but i gather from the anime bit that you are charles? :P rewrite it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, looks like David is also waiting patiently to start his day after reading your message... and it looks like you're sittting there waiting for our replies.. geez people!!! 11:01, 11:02 11:03 commentary entries?!? We need lives....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I refuse to sign in, JUST so it will automatically enter in my name!!! Some of us are simply tooo lazy to go and search the proper usage of the term "treatise"... although to be honest i was just about to recommend telling chow to do it... which is funny cause he's waiting at home waiting to be called upon... hahahah

    love,
    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha it sends me an email now when people comment :D

    seriously.. the anon business aint working for me..

    ReplyDelete
  8. you don't have to sign in! instead of choosing "comment as: anonymous" choose.. "comment as: name/url" and just type your name in!!

    love, connie

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's what caused me to lose my first response in the first place!! it bugged out and then I cried a little.

    lol okay last anonymous entry, and last entry for the day, charles gotta work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah so there is an advantage to being on the west coast. i get in and this is THE FIRST thing i read in the morning.
    yay 3 hr time diff.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you might need a new bike ;p

    and for the love of god, who wears skirts while biking?? Unless of course you want to flash everyone.
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Connie

    If your knees hurt, it's very likely your seat is not adjusted properly (both in height, and how far forward/backwards it is).

    Also, before you publish, go into HTML mode and copy everything in the window. If Blogger decides to go on a walkabout (as it appears it did in your case resulting in loss of blog entry), you can still have the contents in your clipboard!

    ReplyDelete