Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hump day

Oops. So I skipped a day of blog-writing. I am sure you were all terribly disappointed!

Don't fret! I did, in fact, go for a run yesterday morning. I know, I know - I'm not supposed to run every day, but I figured since my Monday morning run was not great, I would go for a little run yesterday.

Apparently not eating or drinking anything post-wake up and pre-run is not so good for the energy levels. Who knew? I didn't realize until I was already down the street that I hadn't eaten or drank anything. Oops again. I was also tired just because - I'm still not quite used to getting up this early on a regular basis! But yes, yes, enough excuses!

Oh! I bought new shoes Monday evening. They are a blindingly white pair of Asics. It has arch support for my high arches and some comfy gel cushions. When I put them on I feel a little bouncier. :) It even makes walking more enjoyable! But, seriously, blinding!

One person I was talking to about shin splints was saying that it might have something to do with the way I run. If I stomp down or put my heel down first and roll through. So I spent all Tuesday morning trying to look at my feet to see what I do. It was a little awkward :P And I'm still not sure! So I blame Dan for messing up my run yesterday morning because I was thinking too much about my feet!

Speaking of shin splints. Good god! I read up on them a bit and now I'm terrified. When I wrote about how I was worried I had a fracture and that running would make my legs SNAP, I was only kidding!! I didn't think that could actually happen! And, ok, I'm still not sure about the SNAPping part, but I could potentially actually get stress fractures on my shins!! So I'm kind of traumatized by the whole thing. Ignorance is bliss, my friends! /shudder

Yesterday I did more kitchen counter pushups. I think I'm feeling it a bit today. But I suppose I shouldn't do those every day either, so I will just do every other day.

So this morning was another day, another run. I was out for about 30 minutes. A nice cool morning. Great for running! It's still more walking than running at this point, but I keep trying to push myself a little further. Truly!

I have to admit - as much as I enjoy that I am being more active and that I do feel a bit more energized after my run - I am still having a hard time staying motivated. I still want to cuddle up in my blankets and sleep just a little bit more. But I'm pushing through it. It takes 3 weeks? months? to build a habit? (Which, admittedly, I think is not true, but I'll fake it for this)

No lessons today, but questions. Lots of questions!
  1. Food. What should I be eating before and after my run? Something easy, please. Is there anything I shouldn't eat?
  2. My left heel hurts a little when I run. What am I doing wrong?
  3. Does anyone else think it's hilarious that Cat Deeley is 8 feet taller than any of the dancers on SYTYCD? Well, not hilarious in a bad way, but I love that she doesn't care and wears 3-inch heels anyways.
  4. What are some home exercises I can do for my legs? I have the wall.. er.. kitchen counter pushups for my arms, but I'd like to do something on the other days for my legs.
  5. Actually, what are some home exercises in general I can do?
  6. Actually! Who wants to make me a home exercise regime? /cough Chow? :D What else are you doing? :P
  7. Anyone free for dinner downtown after work today around 530pm? :)
PS Comments keep me motivated to run and to write this blog ;) And also just make me happy :)

10 comments:

  1. You may want to stay in bed, but at least you're getting up. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, pushups are mainly a chest exercise... -_-

    ReplyDelete
  3. so three things:
    a) like your chest NEEDS more exercise! :P
    b) i hear banana is good to eat before going running...
    c) i am so down for dinner after work :(

    kthnxbai

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what you eat for dinner the night before is more important for energy levels. Consider a few more complex carbs, but not a LOT more.

    You don't want a lot in your stomach before you run. Digesting food attracts blood to your stomach, and you want it in other parts of your body. Also, kind of like swimming, you don't want to eat a drink right before running. If you do, make sure you wait 15 or 20 minutes before you start.

    When did your heel start to hurt? It might just be the new shoes need a little more breaking in, but keep an eye on it. Heel pain can be sooo painful. Remember to work on your stride so that you're not pounding your heel/foot in your stride. :)

    I concur with Olessia, really, do you need MORE work on your chest? :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Connie! Start off slow! Running addicts are addicted to pain imo. How about your bike? Low impact.. it takes time to build up tendon, muscle and ligament strength. Hike up some steep hills, go for longer speed walks. Just make sure you're breathing heavy and breaking that sweat! As for morning food, something light, an apple, yogurt. Lots of fat burning theories about when to work out during the day... Your body can survive for weeks and months with just water if it had to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs Here's something that might help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I JUST talked to you about this, I suggest doing squats and lunges on the days you don't do your push ups.

    I personally prefer walking lunges, since they are bit more interesting than standing ones...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's all about the protein shakes, Connie. Easy to digest and good for exercising.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Connie, this is what I have learned from the running room and a dietitian:

    1) It's best to eat an hour or more before you exercise to allow your body to digest. However, everyone is different and digestion may take longer/shorter so pay attention to your body and do what's right for you.

    2) If you're going to run in the morning, you probably aren't going to eat an hour beforehand. So try to eat something light that is high in glucse (glucose if your body's first choice for energy): preferably from whole foods. I would recommend a glass of milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, or a small sweet potato (might be weird in the morning though!).

    3) You should also snack (or eat a meal) within 30 mins after your workout. Something with carbs and protein. For a quick "snack", a glass of chocolate milk will do!

    4) Your heel pain may be from the new shoes. Maybe your feet are striking the pavement differently than what they're used to? But keep a watch on it (like your friend said), because it could be the start of plantar facitis (look it up). Don't run through pain... let your body rest/recover. Ice it.

    5) Yes, Cat Deeley is abnormally tall! And who the f&*% dresses her?? I don't understand her outfits most days. Horrible... just horrible.

    6) I am not going to help with an exercise regime... figure that out for yourself! Do yoga!!

    Love ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Connie, do you own any free weights?

    I dunno about eating the carbs after running if weight loss is one of your primary goals...

    ReplyDelete