Thursday, July 9, 2009

to blade or not to blade..

Well, I decided to go rollerblading instead of running this morning. I figured that not only because of this so-called "overtraining" possibility, but to also get my body used to this higher-impact exercise than it's used to. And also because I wanted to break out my blades again :) And! also because I play ultimate frisbee tonight and I'll be running around tonight.

Oh rollerblades. I am a disaster waiting to happen. I'm rethinking the idea of going blading by myself since I am sure to find myself at the bottom of a hill one of these days smushed into a car or something. However! as ever, I do have my trusty blackberry so if I am lucky enough to survive and stay conscious I can call someone :) Ohgod, what if my blackberry gets hurt?! Maybe I should leave it at home and take my chances with the FALLing.. decisions, decisions.

So rollerblading was kind of an ordeal. I was trying to figure out a place to put them on. Where I live, when you come to the front door it opens out to a porch then has about 5 steps down, then like 3 long steps down to the sidewalk. I thought I'd have a seat on those 5 steps down because it would be too awkward to put on my blades on the long step. So I get them on then realize that I still have to go down those last steps and it's all uneven brick or something and not a railing in sight!! Then once I got to the sidewalk I had to stop myself from spiralling down the sidewalk (did I mention I live on a hill??). Phew. I made it, though.

I tried to practice stopping because, I don't know if I said it, but I am incapable of stopping. I can sort of slow down now though, but not when I'm going a million miles an hour - at that point I just pray that no cars appear. Stopping is hard :( I almost fall over every time when I'm going too fast and try to stop :/ I guess I just need more practice?

So the last ordeal was getting home. Let me paint a picture for you. No matter which way I go I have to go down a hill to get home. I live in the middle of a hill so I go down a hill then go partway back up a hill. I could go down the hill I live on, but then I think I wouldn't be able to stop at my house :P So I tried to pick the smallest hill and there was more wild careening. I don't mind the going fast - I like going fast ;) It's the being out-of-control bit that I don't like.

Either way, I make it home mishap-free! Or so I think -.- I take my blades off on the sidewalk and remember all those stairs? I totally missed a step at the bottom of the 5 and went sprawling out on top of them. Honestly. Who does that?! Don't worry - my blackberry is ok.

At the beginning of the morning I was talking to Tammy and I have decided that I want to try a spin class. Has anyone tried one of these? Is it very very hard? It probably won't be until August, but I think it might be.. interesting :)

Lessons learned:
  1. I need a bell or a horn or something. That way when I go careening into intersections at top speed because my area is so damn hilly, I can ring my little bell to hopefully warn approaching cars that Connie has arrived and will be in their path momentarily.
  2. Living on a hill sucks.
  3. The roads in my area suck, too! I have to say, going blading on uneven/broken/sucky terrain is absolutely brutal. Especially!! when you are shooting down a hill and suddenly hit some crappy road. So many near-death experiences :(
  4. Maybe I'll stick to the path at the beach for rollerblading! Where I will usually have company or at least there will be other people around to call an ambulance if needed :P
  5. I have such knowledgeable and helpful friends and family. You guys are awesome. Thanks for all your support, information, and help! <3 <3 <3

2 comments:

  1. We go to Lakeshore all the time. Instead of the boardwalk, you should go across Lakeshore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's blade tomorrow! I know how you feel about not being able to stop ... that's how I feel on skates.

    ReplyDelete