Wednesday, July 15, 2009

it's all in my head..

This morning was another one of those mornings where I did not want to go, but I forced myself to!

See, some people think blogging is a purely vain and egotistical venture. Who cares what you are having for breakfast? I do tend to agree, but! I don't care. It is definitely a self-serving activity in a lot of ways whereby I feel like if I don't get up in the morning to run then I'll hear about it from my lovely readers :) .. or I could just lie, I suppose.. :D

In any case, I feel like this blog is helping to keep me on track so in that sense it is purely selfish! But, since you are my friends, I hope you understand my motives :)

This all relates back to my title about it being all in my head. Exercise is all mental energy. I think I always knew this in a vague sort of obvious way, but I really felt it today. I had to use almost every bit of mental energy I had to just get out of bed. It wasn't about being physically lazy, but mentally lazy :( I feel that that's worse somehow!

This continued during my run. I really tried hard to push myself even further. I figured otherwise this getting out of bed in the morning was all just a waste of time if I didn't push it. So I tried, but again, it took so much mental energy to convince myself to just make it to the next tree or the next landmark. Then I would walk and have to convince myself again to start running again and not lollygag! I think I made some more progress though, I successfully pushed myself and made some more progress - I think!

I was talking to my cousin the other day and he suggested I talk to some sort of running coach and come up with a program rather than just kind of playing around like I'm doing. I may not actually pay someone, but perhaps this weekend I will do more research on what kind of goals I should be setting for myself to give more purpose to my running and early morning wake-ups.

Question:

Is it better to run on the road vs. the sidewalk? As I was running I thought that maybe I should start running on the road because it is presumably softer. Does it matter?


Oh! Pushups! I did some more stair pushups and I did 3 reps of 12 AND *drumroll* I went down a step so my body was more angled. /flex

Also, the plank again - 15 seconds full-plank x2. Good times.

Of course now that this is sort of settling under control I guess I should look to my diet :/ Since, as some people are saying, 80% is diet! That sucks. That's even more mental energy that I will need. I don't know if my brain can be stretched that thin! I'm trying just to combat the thought of: since I go running, I can eat whatever I want! :D

Hm, biking or blading tomorrow morning? Biking is stressful (see previous post) and blading is death-defying when I do it.. We'll see how I feel in the morning :)

And I'm sorry - I won't let this much time lapse between weekday posts again!! <3

2 comments:

  1. yay Connie! Yes yes... your anguish sustains me :D ... heh sorry, Family Guy ... damnit, i forgot the word... umm referral.. allusion... anyway you get my mocking I'm sure!

    So happy to hear you're keeping strong! Keep it up! So proud of you! rararara! okay, time for me to rant on my own blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Connie! Glad to see you're making progress. I'd suggest Connie that you don't make on-the-spot goals like making it to the next tree, and then when you reached the tree, the next lamppost. You should map out a route and set a goal point, just one, and do your best to make it to that. Seems like you're thinking too much while exercising. And run on the sidewalk... safety first!

    BTW, it's 3 SETS of 12 REPS. You should one day of the month perhaps before your run, do full plank just once, but go until you max out and see how long you can hold it for.

    As for your diet, you don't have to rush into things if you don't feel you're up for it. You stress out too much, you may end up feeling worse than you do. Just start off by making small changes, such as not drinking pop and no condiments. Just by cutting those things, along with fast food, I dropped 10 lbs. Also, just make better decisions when eating. Should I be eating seconds when I've already had so much in the first portion? Ultimately, you're in no rush, you want a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. Trust me, I know, that P90X diet did me worse in the long run.

    ReplyDelete