Friday, July 10, 2009

wishful thinking..

Last night we played our last ultimate frisbee game for the spring session. Despite a hiccup with the timing, enough of us showed up to make it fun! We did not win, but I think we still played a good game! Most importantly, I feel that I was a little more on top of my game during the match. I would like to attribute this to my new daily routine! I was still in rough shape after, but not as bad as I have been in the past! I like that there is a seemingly discernible change in my life - even if it is just wishful thinking on my part.

Aside (you know how I like my asides!) on captaincy. With great power comes great responsibility - for most people. For me? I just like the power and take no responsibility :D I have sort of mucked up the final games for both the volleyball and frisbee league. Oops. Although I like to think I'm doing pretty well as captain for my pool team! I own EVERYONE. muhaha. /ahem.

Back to wishful thinking. I have been at this for about 2 weeks now and I feel like I should have lost 20lbs by now and running marathons. Maybe that's not so much wishful thinking as outright delusion. In any case, this is about where I start to lose motivation: I have done all this work, but have very little to show for it so far (except maybe from the ultimate frisbee example above). I know, I know - these things take time! But not only do I indulge in wishful thinking, but I'm ridiculously impatient!

I do have good news, though! Today was probably my best and longest running bout ever. I was out for about 30 minutes and had a mix of walking and running (I choose to believe it was more running in total than I have done before). It was great! So, ok, maybe these are changes I should keep in mind when I start to lose motivation, but I want more visible/physical changes :P

So it was a great run - I was dealing with some shin pain from the ultimate game, but it wasn't too bad this morning. Then I came home and did the dreaded plank. -_-

It's funny, the last time I remember doing it was at the volleyball skills clinic I intermittently attended. It was brutal. Just brutal. But then I was looking at an instructional site on them recently and they make it look so easy! I thought, "Hey, they're not so bad, maybe I am remembering them as being worse than they are".

Turns out! They are as bad as I remember. Maybe because I just got in from the run and was exhausted, but I tried to do a normal plank, but I could not even hold it for 5 seconds. I had to drop down to the half-plank. This was slightly easier. Slightly. I could hold the half-plank for 15 seconds. So I did that 3 times. My cat, Spike, kept crawling under me every time I pushed up to do the half-plank. I think he was trying to help because if I fell I would crush him! Spike is the best :) He also was trying to help while I was doing situps. I did about 20 and during this he was sprawled out on my belly. I don't know how that was helping exactly, but I felt he was offering moral support :)

So I feel good this morning!

Also, I finally dropped off my tax information to my accountant. From 2005. I'm expecting a winfall of cash :P Maybe I should buy more sunscreen with it.

That was my subtle segue into the continuing saga of my ridiculous tan. Some of you have known me only for a short time so have not been privy to my previous ridiculous tans, but I can definitively tell you that The Tan of 2009 is THE worst tan I've ever had. I thought The Tan of 2007 was bad, but this definitely takes the cake. I look diseased. I am varying shades of brown and white all over my upper body. Ridiculous!

So anyways. It's Friday! Beach volleyball tonight and perhaps the beach tomorrow! Because I just can't stay away :)

5 comments:

  1. Diseased! LOL. You look like a leper with your skin peeling off. Or the skin affliction the Michael Jackson had.

    I say dump the suncreen and just make it all blister and peel away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To see visible results Connie... here's the breakdown of it... 20% exercise, 80% diet... You can be fit, but you won't neccessarily look like it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with David on that one ... if you want visible results, diet is gonna be a major component ... I know! It sucks! I enjoy fast food waaay too much to give it up for anything - hah hah.

    I've been jogging at the gym for just under a year now. My cardio improved first ... any visible results weren't until I started mixing in weight training and changing up my diet, even slightly. I'm not the kind of person that can stick to salads so I just try to make small, easy changes to my diet. I try to make it a point to have breakfast, eat more often but less, minimize carb intake late at night, drink less pop, opt out of mayo when I order a burger, etc ... small changes like that will help, and would be easier to stick to. No need for any drastic diets if you ask me. I always try to find balance with what's good for me, and what's enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, you played amazing at vball yesterday! Made some great saves, and probably had the best ratio of 'successful plays to f$#k-ups' than all of us. I felt confident whenever the ball was in your area. I think we all played really well though. Should be a good summer run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg... i thought this blog was supposed to be a daily thing... sitting here twiddling ma thumbs... patiently... ok chop chop, entertain me!

    ReplyDelete